Flip Excel desk headers on or off
While you first create a desk, you may have the choice of utilizing your individual first row of knowledge as a header row by checking the My desk has headers possibility:
In the event you select to not use your individual headers, Excel will add default header names, like Column1, Column2 and so forth, however you’ll be able to change these at any time. Bear in mind that when you have a header row in your information, however select to not use it, Excel will deal with that row as information. Within the following instance, you would want to delete row 2 and rename the default headers, in any other case Excel will mistakenly see it as a part of your information.
Present or conceal the Header Row
- Click on wherever within the desk.
- Go to Desk Instruments > Design on the Ribbon.
On a Mac go to the Desk tab on the Ribbon.
- Within the Desk Model Choices group, choose the Header Row examine field to cover or show the desk headers.
- In the event you rename the header rows after which flip off the header row, the unique values you enter shall be retained in case you flip the header row again on.
- The display screen photographs on this article had been taken in Excel 2016. When you’ve got a special model your view may be barely totally different, however except in any other case famous, the performance is similar.
- The desk header row shouldn’t be confused with worksheet column headings or the headers for printed pages. For extra data, see Print rows with column headers on prime of each web page.
- While you flip the header row off, AutoFilter is turned off and any utilized filters are faraway from the desk.
- While you add a brand new column when desk headers will not be displayed, the identify of the brand new desk header can’t be decided by a sequence fill that’s primarily based on the worth of the desk header that’s straight adjoining to the left of the brand new column. This solely works when desk headers are displayed. As an alternative, a default desk header is added which you could change while you show desk headers.
- Though it’s attainable to seek advice from desk headers which are turned off in formulation, you can not seek advice from them by choosing them. References in tables to a hidden desk header return zero (0) values, however they continue to be unchanged and return the desk header values when the desk header is displayed once more. All different worksheet references (akin to A1 or RC fashion references) to the desk header are adjusted when the desk header is turned off and should trigger formulation to return surprising outcomes.
Want extra assist?
You may all the time ask an knowledgeable within the Excel Tech Group, get help within the Solutions group, or counsel a brand new characteristic or enchancment on Excel Consumer Voice.
Overview of Excel tables
Video: Create an Excel desk
Create or delete an Excel desk
Format an Excel desk
Resize a desk by including or eradicating rows and columns
Filter information in a variety or desk
Utilizing structured references with Excel tables
Convert a desk to a variety